Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A month in Tuscany day 11 - My family leaves

I can not remember the last time that my husband, two sons and I spent over a week together, it has to be years.  We also had my Father with us for this whole time as well, it has been good to reconnect and spend some time together as a family.  But today the boys and my Father headed back to Florence and then to fly back to Canada, hopefully this has been a trip that they will remember for a long time.



In the morning Nicholas Mark and I walked the 1.5 km down to the local stores to pick up some bread, butter and shared a cappaccino at the local cafe. The bread that we picked up was used to make tuscan sausage hot dogs for their last meal at the villa.


After we dropped them off we went to the Co op to pick up a few items that we needed. As we drove home the heavens opened and it poured rain for about 15 or 20 minutes then cleared up again.

All the others were out and about 2 in Florence, 3 in Siena and 2 cycling around the countryside.  They all avoided the rain by being on a bus or a coffee shop so no drowned rats that day.

Darren was making mushroom risotto for dinner, I had picked up both dried and amazing fresh porcini mushrooms for him.  I am afraid I do not have a picture of the finished risotto, but here is a picture of it in the making.




Like most days the sun set as we were preparing dinner and like most days I tried to get a good picture of my stand of trees.


To go with the mushroom risotto I fried up some flattened chicken breast with a white wine, lemon sauce and capers.


We had picked up a stray, a young women who had signed up for couch surfing.com and could not find Jacopo the owner of our villa.  So we invited her in and to have dinner with us.  Jacopo showed up just around dinner time and joined us with a bottle of wine and then brought out a bottle of grappa with no label.  We stayed out on the deck until bedtime, another beautiful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment