Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Roast pork stuffed with apricot stuffing

Saturday found me up at Pender Harbour looking for inspiration at the Oak tree Market for dinner.  They had some lovely looking crown of pork roasts and I was reminded of a recipe for roast pork with apricot stuffing that I had seen on Not Quite Nigella last week.  I thought at the time that I liked the sound of it so this was the perfect opportunity to try it out.


Of course I changed it up a bit partly because I was missing some of the ingredients.

2 shallots finely chopped (or 1 small onion)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic sliced
1/2 cup of dried apricots chopped
2 cups of olive bread chopped
a sprig of thyme (well actually I would have liked a sprig of thyme but there was none)
1 tablespoon of grand marnier
1/4 of orange juice.



Sweat the onion and garlic until they are translucent.


Add the apricots and the grand marnier and cook until the alcohol has cooked off.


Add the other ingredients and stir together.

Prepare the roast by slicing through the meaty part.


Then stuff in the stuffing.


Then truss it (fancy word for tie up) to hold the stuffing in the roast and stop it from falling open.

I then placed the trussed roast on a bed of the remaining stuffing in a roasting tin and roasted it for about 2 hours in a 350 oven.


Unfortunately the oven was hotter than I thought at first, (I really ought to learn to wear my glasses) So I charred the edges of the stuffing, but actually it tasted fine.


I cut the pork in between each bone in to large tasty pacman shaped chops and served it with the stuffing that had been on the bottom of the roasting tin.

This was very tasty, thank for the idea Lorraine, it made a nice summer roast served with potatoes roasted half submerged in chicken stock and a delicious beet and goat cheese salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment