Friday, August 26, 2011

Preserving summer- Salsa

I love fresh salsa and make it all the time in the summer and even in the winter sometimes, and I have never  thought much of the salsa that you buy in jars.  So when I come across a recipe that says to add a jar of salsa I usually just go to the next recipe.


So I decided with 12 of the tomatoes I brought back from the Okanagan to make my own jarred salsa.

12 of the plum tomatoes chopped skins and seeds and all
1 large sweet onion chopped
2 peppers one red the other yellow chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
10 tablespoons of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
handful of chopped cilantro.

I added every thing except the cilantro to a large pot.



I simmered for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes were just starting to give off their juices.


Then I added the cilantro and poured into my fresh from the dishwasher canning jars. These I then placed in my brand new canner, I had struggled with getting the mini canner or the large canner.  Thankfully I decided on the mini canner, as I had to add some empty jars with water in to stop the filled ones from falling over.


I processed these for about 35 minutes until all the lids had sealed. This only took about 1/2 an hour of prep and I think well worth it.


Now I am looking for a recipe calling for a jar of salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment