Sunday, August 7, 2011

Home made hummus to go

On Saturday night Vancouver was having the last of 3 nights of "the festival of light"which is a half hour spectacular firework display in English Bay.  hundreds of thousands of people from all over the lower mainland come into town to see this, so when a friend invited us down to their boat to watch them we jumped at the chance.

We arrived at around 7:30 after having eaten dinner, but we were going to have a little nibble to eat and a glass of wine while we waited for the fireworks to begin. Hummus is a healthy alternative to most dips, so I decided to make some to go along with the vegetables that my friend was bringing.

forgive the plastic container but look at the view
I could have bought some, but really it is so easy to make and I always have the ingredients in my fridge and pantry, so I decided to make it instead. But if I do buy hummus, I always add the juice of a lemon or two to brighten up the flavour.

1 can of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of tahini (you could add more to taste)
Juice of two or three lemons
1/4 cup of olive oil (or water to make even healthier)
salt to taste



Drain and rinse the chickpeas and then add all the ingredients into a food processor.


Process until the desired texture is arrived at, I like mine fairly smooth. Also adjust for a little more liquid if you need it.


Normally I would serve this in one of my many (far too many according to my husband) bowls, but in this case we were packing to eat on the boat so it went in a rather unattractive plastic container.


We headed downtown with hummus and a bottle of wine in a cooler.  The weather was beautiful, and it was one of those evenings that makes you realize why we live here, and forget about the rather disappointing summer we have been having so far this year.

The view from the boat
We sat on the deck of the boat talking, nibbling and watching the sun set and the moon rise over the city and all the boats.


At ten sharp the fireworks began, and this time we chose to stay exactly where we were instead of joining the throngs sitting all around the adjoining bay. Though the fireworks were a little distant, they really were not any less spectacular seen bursting over and between the high rises of the West end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment