Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Potato and beet top soup

Monday was not really a soup kind of day, finally the sun was shining and the temperatures were up to normal, but I had bag of beet tops that needed using, and I really did feel like soup.


I got them at the farmers market on Sunday, some attached to my beets and some that someone else did not want.  I love the flavor of beet tops and they are full of goodness.


1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 small onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
tops off two bunches of beets chopped
2 medium potatoes
2 cups of stock (I used beef because that is what I had, but chicken would have been fine)
Salt and pepper



Add the onion, garlic and olive oil in to a large pot and cook slowly until the onion is transparent.


Then add the beet tops and stir in until they wilt.


Then add the stock and potatoes.

Simmer until the potatoes are cooked and taste for seasoning the flavour of the beet tops is wonderfully green and earthy, just adjust salt and good grind of pepper and you are good to go, sometimes less is more.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Gillian :) Long time! I loved this recipe, it looks so hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time indeed. Can you get beets in India?

    ReplyDelete