Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rhubarb and blueberry crumble

Crumble was what my Mother used to make most sundays for dinner, the fruit would vary with the season, but the topping was always the same.  She really did not like making pastry very much so this was an easy way out.

Monday night I was feeling a little lazy myself and thought crumble would be an easy way out for me too. I was stewing some rhubarb to freeze and I added some blueberries that I found in the freezer left over from last year. So while the fruit was stewing, I made the crumble topping.

1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter.



Mix the flour and sugar together then rub or cut the butter in until it is the texture of course breadcrumbs. Place the stewed fruit into the bottom of a straight sided baking dish and top with the crumble topping.


Then I sprinkled the top with brown sugar and put in a 350 oven for about 25 minutes until the topping is cooked through and golden on the top.


I have to say my Mother was right this is quick and delicious. We ate it with strained yogurt, but you could also serve it with cream or if you are really English, custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment