Sunday, August 19, 2012

Barbecued Pizza

This is something that I have been wanting to try for a while, I have read about it and seen it on TV, but I have never actually tried it before. So on the last night of staying up at Pender Harbour I grilled two pizza's using what I found in the fridge and pantry for toppings.



I made one traditional style pizza with a tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, mozzorela and fresh basil and one using pesto sauce, sliced cooked potatoes, provolone and fresh rosemary.

Now there were a couple of things I was missing for this experiment, proper flour (I was still using the easy blending flour), a pizza peel and a pizza stone.  I have seen this done with putting the dough directly on the grill, but without a pizza peel it is hard to transport a thin crust pizza with out misshaping it.  Also the easy blending flour does not make a very stretchy dough, I really would not reccomend it.  Any way nothing ventured nothing gained so I gave it a try.  I made my basic foccacia bread recipe and then formed the base of each pizza on an upturned cookie sheet.



For the tomato sauce I had a jar tomato puree that I had canned last summer.  I just simmered this down with some basil in it until it was about half the amount.


This made an incredible intensly  flavoured tomato sauce for the pizza. For the potato pizza I found a jar of pesto sauce in the freezer and decided to use that. I just placed the toppings on top of the pizzas and cranked the barbecue up to high with both sides lit.

Then I slid the pizza onto the grill and turned that side off.  All went well until I tried to take if off, at which time it kind of collapsed in the middle.


Though it did look a little strange it tasted wonderful, and I really will have to try cooking directly on the grill again.  After this minor failure I cooked the potato pizza on the upturned cookie sheet.


This kept the pizza in tact, but really was not my vision.  Anyway both pizza's turned out and it was certainly a good way to use some leftovers up, and there is more experimenting to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment