Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Stewed rhubarb

Rhubarb is a much underrated fruit, and it is one of the few that is still for the most part seasonal.  You only see it in the stores in the spring and early summer and it grows very well here in south west Canada as well as in my home County of Yorkshire.  As a little girl I would visit my Grandparents in Tingley Yorkshire (the rhubarb capital of the world) where there house backed on to a rhubarb field.  we would climb over the stone wall, steal rhubarb and eat it raw dipping the ends into sugar cradled in our hands.


On Sunday morning before the rains came my husband and I went for a walk and bumped into some neighbours who said they had a surfeit of rhubarb and was I interested.  Oh yes I was interested and told them I would take as much as they could spare. I was dreaming of stewed rhubarb on plain yogurt for breakfast.



Stewing rhubarb is easy quick and freezes well.  Chop the washed rhubarb in chunks, place in a pot with a little water, only about 1/4 of cup, as the rhubarb will release a fair amount of liquid.  Add sugar to taste, I do not like it too sweet so to about 6 cups of chopped rhubarb I added 3/4 cup of brown sugar.

Ready to cook
Simmer stirring occasionaly until the rhubarb is breaking down.  I like little bite to it, not all mushy so I turned the heat off while there were still some lumps in it.


Let it cool then place in freezer bags or containers.

Ready to freeze
This will be my topping for yogurt for as long as it lasts for breakfast.




No comments:

Post a Comment