Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wineries in the Okanagan

I spent the last few days in the Okanagan Valley. It is only 4 or 5 hours drive from Vancouver but it could not be more different, the climate is much drier and hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.  Over the last 20 years the wineries have come to rival some of the best wine growing areas in the world. Not only the wines are good, but it is a great area to wander from winery to winery tasting and enjoying the views.

view from "See Ya Later" ranch
I drove south of Penticton to go to See ya later Ranch I love their chardonnay and I think that they have one of the best views so I decided to go and have a taste.  I bought not only their chardonnay but also a very nice Pinot Noir.

See Ya Later ranch


Earlier in the week I went along the Naramata Bench to take in some of the wineries and have some lunch.  First stop was Township 7 this is not one of the most beautiful wineries but they consistently have good wines.  This year their chardonnay was excellent (OK chardonnay is really my favourite) but I also bought a bottle of 7 blanc which is a blend of white wines and is a little off dry.  I thought this would go very well with a spicy meal.

The next stop along the Naramata bench was La Frenz winery




I have always enjoyed the wines from here and they did not disappoint this time around.  I bought a very delicious bottle of Voigner while my fellow traveller bought a case of Alexandria! They were not tasting it that day, but she had bought it before and was buying a case for a friend as it was the only wine they drank.  Apparently it is a little off dry, and very full of flavour.  I probably should have bought a bottle of this as well, but I was pacing myself there were several more wineries to go.

La Frenz winery
Next was Lake Breeze Winery This is another beautiful winery with spectacular views, which sadly I did not take any pictures of. I bought a bottle of semillon which was really delicious.  Though I drink both red and white, The Okanagan valley being a cooler climate region the whites usually outshine the reds. But I think the white wines from the Okanagan are as good as white wines from any of the great wine districts in the world, and it would be hard to beat some of those view of the lakes and rolling hills.

View from La Frenz



No comments:

Post a Comment