Friday, May 20, 2011

Urban dinner downtown - Halibut cheeks with baby vegetables

My good friends daughter who is my adoptive daughter, just moved into an apartment on the 29th floor down town Vancouver. Her Mother and I decided to visit and cook dinner for her and her boyfriend.  First we went to Granville Island to hunt and gather, one of the best places in the world in which to do this.  Sadly I did not take any photographs, but here is the view from her brand new apartment.


Her apartment is brand new and very beautiful, but very small so we picked up some very small vegetables, actually we picked them up because the looked so cute and tasty. This picture really does not show the size as there is nothing for scale, but the zucchini were about the size of my finger.

Very tiny vegetables on very beautiful granite top
We were feeling like fish so we picked up some halibut cheeks at the market, the cheeks really are the best part of the halibut. She had some little potatoes as well so I decided to make a light warm potato salad with those, and to roast the vegetables.




I just tossed the beautiful little vegetables with some olive oil fresh basil and salt and pepper and threw them in the oven in an aluminum foil pan.  (note to self buy Leah a small roasting tin).

Then I cooked the potatoes in boiling water, when they were cooked I tossed them in olive oil, white wine vinegar and added some green onion and a little chopped parsley.


When that was done I pan fried the halibut cheeks in a little butter and oil then put them in the oven to finish off for a few minutes.


When the fish was cooked I tossed some capers in with the roasted baby vegetables and served them on top of the fish with some lemon.  We had a simple green salad and a nice glass of wine and enjoyed the view.

The view in the other direction

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming to visit me! and cook a fresh and delicous meal to christen my kitchen!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete