Thursday, May 19, 2011

Make ahead meals - chilli

My job has increased in responsibility in the last few months and correspondingly in hours, so I am hard pressed to get home and cook a meal each night.  Rather than resorting to pre-made dishes or take out I decided to start cooking up make ahead meals on the weekend.  So this Sunday my Kitchen was bustling I stewed up a large batch of stewed rhubarb there was a batch of stew in the crock pot and I made up a large pot of chilli


Quantities certainly are not exact, but chilli really is very forgiving and you can adjust to taste any way.

2lbs of lean ground beef
2 onions chopped
2 red bell peppers chopped
1 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon of regular chili powder
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 tablespoon of ground coriander.
2 large can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups of beef stock
1 cup of dried pinto beans
1 cup of dried red kidney beans.



Put the ground beef in a large heavy pot (Mum's Le Crueset to the rescue yet again) cook until it is all brown. You really do not need to add any oil, even lean ground beef has enough fat in it all on its own.


When all the raw looking beef has turned brown add the onion and red pepper stir occasionaly until the onion is translucent.


Now add the spices, dried beans, tomatoes and beef stock.  Stir everything together.  It will be quite wet looking, but the beans will soak up a lot of the liquid.


Cover and simmer for a couple of hours until the beans are cooked but not falling apart.  You may need to add a little water during the cooking as the beans soak up the liquid.


When it is finished adjust for seasoning and serve, or as I did divide in to containers or ziploc bags and freeze.  I now have 2 dinners sitting in the freezer, I gave one to my Dad and one in the fridge for this week.  I do feel organized!

Dinner on Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment