Monday, May 2, 2011

Comfort food - beef stew

I needed to use up some beef stew meat that had in the freezer, so on saturday I had been reading Jamie Oliver's website  where he had been talking about not browning meat for stews. So I decided to try out one of his recipes, well kind, of I changed it a fair bit but I used his method and he was right, it tasted great with out that extra step.




• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 onion chopped and 2 cloves garlic chopped
• a handful of fresh sage leaves
• 1 lb of beef stewing meat cut in to chunks
• flour, to dust
• 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
• 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato purée
• 1/4 a bottle of red wine
• 1 cup beef  stock

 Put a little oil into an appropriately sized pot. Add the onion, garlic and the sage leaves and fry for 3 or 4 minutes. Toss the meat in a little seasoned flour, then add it to the pot with all the vegetables.




Stir together then add the tomato puree, wine and stock, and gently stir together again. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt. I then poured into a slow cooker so that I could get on with my day and not worry about it.


I cooked the stew for 6 hours on slow.  But you could cook in a slow oven for 3 or 4 hours until the meat is tender

This was delicious and very easy.  Jamie had suggested adding fresh lemon zest, grated garlic and a little fresh rosemary at the end.  Unfortunately I forgotten this when I served it, but I can imagine that would be a great addition and I will try that another time.


Served with a simple baked potato and steamed broccoli it made a very tasty and comforting dinner. And a really good Monday night meal heated up after a long day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment