Thursday, May 26, 2011

Greek roast chicken and potatoes

When I was at Hopcott's last weekend I bought a free range chicken so I wanted to roast it for Monday dinner, but wanted to do something a little different.  I really love those lemony potatoes that come with a lot of Greek meals, so I decided to roast the chicken along with some potatoes Greek style.


One large frying chicken
1 head of garlic
8 yukon gold potatoes cut up
2 cups of chicken stock mixed with the juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Handful of fresh sage or oregano or rosemary

First I stuffed the chicken with one head of garlic cut in half and one lemon that had the juice squeezed out of it.  Then I trussed it up with some kitchen twine to keep those legs together.



I put the chicken in a large roasting tin then added the cut up potatoes and the stock combined with lemon juice.  Drizzled olive oil over the chicken and potatoes then sprinkled with cut up sage and salt.



I roasted for just over an hour at 375, basting the chicken and turning the potatoes a couple of times.  When the chicken was cooked through and the potatoes were crispy on the top and most of the stock was absorbed, I carved (hacked) the chicken up.

hacked up chicken
I served the potatoes along with a Greek salad and green beans.


The potatoes were delicious lemony and full of flavour. All in all a very good use of the very good chicken that I had bought.

Below is a picture of my vegetable patch one month in to growing.


Check out those potatoes, I can not wait to dig them up and and cook them, perhaps Greek lemon potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment