Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Roasted potatoes and cauliflower

After an extravegant meal on Saturday night and substantial lunch provided by my son for Mothers day I was feeling something simple and uncomplicated for dinner on Sunday night.  There were some good potatoes in the cupboard, some salsa left over from the night before and a cauliflower that really needed to be used.  I added to this some fish I picked up at the fish store as I had a hankering for fish.


4 small potatoes cut in to quarters
1/2 a cauliflower cut in to florets
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 tablespoon of turmeric.
a pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of chili powder.
a handful of chopped cilantro



I parboiled the potatoes cut in to quarters and in the last couple of minutes I added the cauliflower to start the cooking process for that too.


The potatoes should be just starting to soften and the cauliflower barely started to cook.  Drain the vegetables and toss in the spice mixture and olive oil and half the cilantro.


Place the mixture in an oven proof baking dish and roast in a 400 oven for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are golden and cooked through, top with the rest of the chopped cilantro.


To go with this I pan fried some brill in a little butter and olive oil and topped that with some home made salsa left over from the night before. This was just tomato, red onion, jalepeno, cilantro and lime juice


The slightly spicy potatoes went well with the mild fish and it was just what I felt like and as it was Mothers day and since I am a Mother, I thought I should have just what I wanted for dinner.

As this only took about 1/2 an hour from start to finish it could easily be a week night dinner and the potato dish could go along with a grilled steak or pork chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment