Monday, May 16, 2011

Southwest bean and corn salad.

This is one of the salads that I made to go with the Oven baked chicken with garlic It is another old favourite from  one of John Hadamuscin's books.  It is a great salad to make ahead that can keep for quite a while and still taste good even the next day.


You could use any beans for this, canned or cooked dried beans, if you used canned beans then this can be made in just a few minutes at any time of year.  But in corn season it is really good with shucked fresh corn either boiled or barbecued. But this not corn season so I had to use canned, though frozen would also suffice.

Again I made a large quantity, but I will give ingredients for 4.

1 can of corn (or one ear of corn shucked)
1 can of kidney beans or equivalent dry beans cooked
1 can of chickpeas
1 red pepper copped
 4 green onions chopped



Dressing
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
Juice of one lime
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
(you could add a jalapeno finely chopped, but I did not this time.)
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl.


mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar then pour over the salad.  That all took about 5 minutes (apart the hour I took to cook the beans)  Serve at room temperature or refrigerate to serve later and it tastes fine the next day.

Finished salad
To go along with this salad and the chicken I made Caesar salad  a potato salad using the same method as Sunday night sausage and potato and a Greek salad


I had these already to go by 4:30 when she picked them up along with the chicken.  The thing I like about all these salads is that they transport easily and do not wilt with waiting. I pack the Caesar dressing separate as well as the croutons and the cheese so that they can be tossed together at the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment