Saturday, March 31, 2012

Texas Ceasar salad

We were going over for a night of Texas Hold'm at a friends house really big stakes, $5.00 buy in and pot luck.  The theme for the pot luck was Texas food, I perused what others were bringing and I thought a salad was in order. I check on the Internet for suggestions and came up with Texas Caesar salad on epicurious.com of course I had to adapt due to what I had on hand, but the dressing sounded interesting and tasty so I decided to give it a try.


Dressing ingredients



1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves
1 jalapeño chili, seeded, chopped (use less if you do not want too much heat)
Juice of 1 lime
3/4 cup olive oil

Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a mini chopper or blender.




Then wizz until they are all homogenized and you have a green flecked sludge.


Now gradually add the olive oil in quarters  wizzing in between.


This makes a fair bit of dressing, but it will keep in the fridge for a week, or if you are making salad for a large crowd this would make enough for the largest salad bowl I own.

I placed my lettuce and a bunch of chopped green onion in a bowl covered it with plastic wrap and placed the dressing in a jar on top and an avocado ready to cut up when I got there.


I did not use the traditional romaine lettuce as I had this package of artisan style whole mixed lettuces in my fridge just begging to be used.  They worked well as they were firm and crisp and some of them had a little bitterness, which actually went well with the dressing.  I could have added croutons, but unfortunately I burnt them :(

Any way I chopped up the avocado and tossed everything with the salad and voila a delicious tangy salad with a little bit of a kick.



I was happy to have the remainder of the dressing in the fridge this week as I could come home from work and have a salad on the table with absolutely no effort at all, it was like using dressing from a jar with out the guilt or the chemicals.



No comments:

Post a Comment