Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mustard chicken

This recipe was inspired by flipping through a book in Chapters. I work with in a minutes walk from a Starbucks contained in a Chapters book store. I am a frequent visitor to the Starbucks for coffee and sometimes I walk through the rest of the store and check out the merchandise.  Last week I picked up an interesting looking cook book, I am afraid I have no recollection of which book, but it was french food.  I saw a picture of this dish and thought it looked good and so read the ingredients and directions.


As I made this a few days later and had only read the ingredients and directions once this is my interpretation of what I remembered.

Feeds 6

12 chicken pieces I used 6 whole legs cut in half
1/4 cup of grainy Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1 onion chopped
1 large garlic clove sliced
1 sprig of thyme
1 bay leaf

Put the chicken in a bowl and add the mustard salt and pepper.


Mix together and let it sit for about an hour at room temperature.  Then add the oil to a heavy frying pan and brown the chicken.




I had to do this in two installments.  When the chicken is browned add to a an ovenproof casserole.  Add the onion and garlic to the same frying pan.  You might have to add a little more oil.  Cook on a medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent.


Then add the chicken stock and wine.


Bring to the boil to get all the good crunchy brown mustardy bits from the bottom and pour over the chicken in the casserole.


Add the bay leaf and thyme put on a lid and cook in a 350 oven for about an hour.


When the chicken is cooked through almost falling off the bone, remove it from the casserole into a serving dish and keep warm.  Put the casserole on to the burner on high and simmer to concentrate down the sauce.


Taste for seasoning and when it tastes good and has thickened up a little pour over the chicken and serve.


This was very tasty and met my expectations from the book.  Now I just wish I could remember what the book was, there may be some other good dishes and I really ought to give proper credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment