Friday, June 14, 2013

Roast belly pork

I picked up a beautiful slab of meaty belly pork at The Ginger pig at Greensmiths, belly pork is one my favourite cuts of meat.  There is a fair amount of fat and would probably not be a wise choice on regular basis, but I was on holiday after all.


I made a rub with malden salt and fresh time, by mixing together in a pestle and mortar.


I rubbed that in to the skin, which the butcher had scored for me.




I rubbed a little olive oil in as well in order to make the salt and thyme mixture stick.  Under the meat I put one onion thickly slice. Then I placed in a really hot oven for 15 minutes until the skin crisped up, and then turned down to 350 for 2 hours.


While the pork was resting, I added a tablespoon of flour to the roasting tin and then a cup of white wine and cooked down to produce a rich dark gravy.


Pork crackling cravings met. This belly pork was still on the bones and when I lifted the meat off, we were left with delicious pork ribs!

No comments:

Post a Comment