Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pickled radishes



The past couple of years I have attempted to grow vegetables in my garden, the results were disappointing at best. The problem was we were trying to grow them at the back of our house which faces due North, so this year my husband dug up some of the front grass and we have created a victory garden at the front of our house.


And it has been far more successful, the above picture shows one of the beds in mid May with an abundance of radishes and a variety of lettuce that can already be harvested. I pulled a whole load of radishes that were getting quite large and decided that I would have to pickle them as I could not eat them all in a salad by myself.


I looked at several recipes on the Internet and combined a few to come up with something that would work for me.



1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
8 medium radishes thinly sliced
½ small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
Sprig of basil sliced



Bring the vinegar, water, garlic, salt, fennel seeds and sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan set over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.



Turn off the heat, then add the radishes, onion and basil.


Cool to room temperature, transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate for at least 1 day


This was quick and easy and best of all very tasty and using the fruits of my labour (well my husbands labour anyway)



No comments:

Post a Comment