Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Veal picante/piccata

I am lucky enough to be London visiting old friends and attending an old school friends, daughters wedding.  The first few days I am staying in central London with the woman who used to baby sit me when I was little, so really we are more like family.  When I come to stay with her it is a pleasure to gather local food and cook dinners for the family.


I love veal and this is something that is hard to get in Vancouver, so when I saw some lovely looking veal at the local butchers I had to get some. At home I often use chicken breast or pork to replace the veal, but what a treat to find the real thing. I cooked it the way I like it best which is somewhere in between Veal Picante and Veal Piccata.

To feed 4
4 veal escalopes (or 2 large cut in half which is what we did)
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 green onions
1/3 cup of white wine
juice of one lemon
2 heaped tablespoons of capers
hand full of chopped parsley.

Beat out the escalopes until they are nice and thin and season well with salt and pepper.


Dredge in the flour so that they have a light dusting all over.


Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a frying pan and when it is hot add the veal.





Cook on one side for about 5 minutes until nicely golden brown and cook on the other side for a further 3 or 4 minutes until the veal is cooked through and golden on both sides.


Remove to a plate and keep warm.

Add the green onion to the frying pan, you might need to add a little more olive oil.  Traditionally butter would have been added at this point.  Though this would have been a great addition, I am not sure it is really necessary and we are all watching not only our calorie intake, but our cholesterol too. When the onion is just softening add the white wine.


All the lovely brown bits will be picked up. Let this simmer for a couple of minutes until the wine has reduced in half, then add the remaining ingredients, keeping a little parsley to sprinkle on at the end.


Taste for seasoning and you are done. Pour the sauce over the veal and serve.


We had oven roasted potatoes and asparagus and pine nut salad to go with it.  However instead of using lemon in the salad I used sherry vinegar as the sauce on the veal was so lemony.


No comments:

Post a Comment