Saturday, June 22, 2013

Meyer lemon custard

Over 20 years ago I went to Greens restaurant in San Francisco for the first time and we ordered the meyer lemon custard.  I had never had meyer lemon and you could not possible get them up here in Canada.  But that custard sticks in my mind as being one of the best desserts I can remember having.  Meyer lemons are rounder than regular lemons and though they have a lemon flavour they are not nearly as sour. Any way when I found 3 meyer lemons in the fridge at Pender Harbour I had to try and recreate that memorable custard. If you are not lucky enough to stumble upon meyer lemons in your fridge or the store, then you could use oranges or regular lemons just up the amount of sugar.


2 of the 4 of us are lactose intolerant and so I used lactaid milk and it was fine, I am sure I could not tell the difference. You could make these richer (and higher in calories) by using coffee cream.

 4 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
3 cups milk
3 meyer lemons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until lightly beaten.



Add milk, the zest of one lemon and the juice of all three then beat until incorporated. Pour mixture into six  ramekins or 4 ramekins and one larger dish if that is all you have . Arrange  in a roasting tin and pour enough water into the roasting tin to cover ramekins halfway up the sides.




Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center of a custard comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove ramekins from baking dish and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.


These were delicious and creamy but not too rich and a wonderful end to our chicken and stuffing dinner.  I made almond lace cookies as well, but though they tasted fine, they did not turn out quite right.


I am not sure I can compare these to the Greens custard as it was over 20 years ago and anyway you should not really mess with memorable meal memories. Nothing will ever taste that good again (even if they do). This was a a memorable meal in it's own rights as it was a meal cooked with and for good friends and those really are the best meals after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment