Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kale and potatoes

One dish that appeared to be on every menu in Croatia was kale and potatoes.  This along with grilled vegetables seemed to be one of the only vegetable dish that was served.  I was OK with this, as actually I really liked it. So on my return I had to have a go at cooking it.



  • Enough good chicken stock, preferably home made to just cover the potatoes
  • 2 small yellow potatoes for each person cut into chunks
  • 1 bunch of kale for each 4 people.


Place the chicken stock and the potatoes in a large pot, cook until the potatoes are almost cooked through.  Cook with the top off, so that the chicken stock cooks down, making sure it does not dry out.





Add the kale.


Push down and now put on a lid on while the kale cooks down.  Then remove the lid again and simmer until the potatoes and kale are cooked through and the chicken stock has been absorbed and has almost completely evaporated.

Serve drizzled with some good olive oil.


Though I say so myself this was delicious and made a wonderful accompaniment to some roast chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment