Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royal wedding cup cakes

I decided to stay up and watch the Royal wedding on Thursday night (3:00 am Friday Morning on the West Coast) it could hardly have been a worse time. The question was whether to stay up all night or go to bed and get up early.  Well the answer was go to bed at 10:00 and wake up at 1:00 am, my internal clock decided I wanted to see everything including a whole lot of filler and inane chatter from commentator's with nothing much to say.

Having said that I am glad I watched it live, and it really was a beautiful ceremony, the music was wonderful and bride was beautiful she reminded my of Grace Kelly, a wonderful role model for Royal brides.  I felt we had to celebrate at work so decided to make some cupcakes and decorate appropriately for the royal wedding.

A cupcake sitting on my Mothers English Minton China
I have based this on a recipe by Ina Garten I changed it slightly based on what I had on hand and the recipe for the icing seemed to be far too much. I was correct even with the smaller amount I made there was quite a bit left. This made 24 cupcakes




3/4 pound butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups flour (I used cake flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup of sweetened, shredded coconut

For the frosting:
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
1/4 butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups of confectioners' sugar, sifted


Using a hand mixer cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Turning the mixer down to low add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well.



n a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the coconut milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

The finished batter
Line  24 pans with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter.



Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.



Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth. I added a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk to get the right texture.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut, they looked quite fine like this but as it was the Royal Wedding day I added some Silver rings and edible pearls.




I managed to make it through the day, though no working late that evening and I hoped the cupcakes would help my co workers overlook any of my shortcomings due to lack of sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment