Monday, November 8, 2010

Simple English dinner

I arrived in England mid afternoon and my school friend Jacky kindly picked me up at Heathrow. She and her family were abandoning me for the evening as they had a prior engagement. (this is something only a friend who has known you since were 9 could do.) So I was on my own for dinner


We stopped at waitrose to pick up my supplies, I wanted to have something not easily available in Canada as well as pick up some twiglets and scotch eggs. I found in the fish section something that I loved as a child that I called "yellow fish" this is in fact smoked haddock. So I decided on that and got some interesting looking potatoes (there are so many more varieties easily available here) There was also some purple sprouting broccoli which looked very interesting.



Purple sprouting broccoli and smoked haddock
 I bought the fish from the fish counter in a supermarket and he sealed it in foil like package so that the smell would not escape and would help keep it cold. I thought this was a great idea.

Sealed fish
Cooked the brocolli and potatoes very simply in salted water, (I had been up for about 24 hours at this time and fast running out of stamina.  Then I poached the fish in milk as mother used to do. This only takes a few minutes place the fish is milk not quite covering it in a pot on top of the stove, bring to a simmer and cook until the fish is flaking this takes about 2 or 3 minutes after it comes to a simmer.

poaching fish
I took my completed meal watched some english TV and had a glass of wine.  It was actually a very relaxing way to get over jetlag.  I passed out in front of the TV and did not have the energy to clear up the kitchen sorry Jacky, slept through the night and was ready to take on the day.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a tasteful lean cuisine....nice and light before the big sleep. Trust you are aclimatising to the other side of the clock. You'll be rising and I am retiring.

    ....never heard of waitrose...must be an English thing......:))...like twiglets and scotch eggs.

    ReplyDelete