Monday, November 1, 2010

Saturday night in Seattle at Tulio

After an exhausting day of shopping, tasting and being over stimulated by the sights and sounds of Pike place Market we headed back to Kathleen's hotel, which was close by, for a glass of wine to recuperate and to discuss dinner plans.

A fish watching me at Pike place market


Due to lack of planning  we find our selves yet again with out reservations, but Kathleen's husband suggested Tulio Restaurant where he had eaten the night before.  He was not joining us as he had a late lunch.  A quick call to the concierge and a booking was made with a enough time left for another glass of wine.

Tulio's was just a couple of blocks away, which was good as the heavens had opened. We waited for a little while in the hotel lobby as we were little to eager and arrived a little too early.

We had a table right next to the open kitchen, always my favourite place to sit.

We started with a couple of salads which were good but not memorable, Connie and I shared arugula with crisp pancetta and hard boiled egg.  It was pleasant and I was glad I had it as my main course did not come with any vegetables

I know it is a little hazy, but frankly I think we all look a little better that way

My main course was duck two ways, duck breast and duck confit.  Duck confit has to be one of my all time favourite things and something I often order.  I have to say this was one of the best.

Duck two ways
The duck breast was perfectly cooked medium rare and crispy skin and duck confit was wonderful, again a nice crispy skin and very succulent meat.  It was served on top of a tart filled with what tasted like caramalized onion.  Altogether a wonderful dish.

Connie ordered the fish of the day, which was halibut served on black lentils.

Bad picture of fish of the day
The fish had a beautiful crisp topping and was cooked to perfection, the only complaint was that we all agreed it was a little salty.  Connie declared the sauce delicious and we were excited to try the lentils as we had seen them in the market that day.

Kathleen ordered the lamb sirloin, grilled with artichokes and green beans

A rather washed picture of the lamb
Kathleen did not really comment too much about her meal, which leads me to believe it was good but not exceptional.

Nancy ordered steak, I am not sure why, I guess she was craving red meat, any way it was a very generous serving with a garnish of Gorgonzola butter and fingerling potatoes.

Steak
The steak was fine but again not memorable, but a good choice for a large eater who likes plain food, (this does not describe Nancy.)

All in all we had a lovely evening at Tulio, though the wine, like the previous night seemed to be overpriced compared the price of wine in the stores in the states. I would to go again for the  the duck  as it was extremely good

No comments:

Post a Comment