Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Potato, celeriac and fennel side dish

Whilst enjoying my peaceful evening in front of the fire on my first night in England I came accross this on a cooking show on The Cooking network UK it sounded like just the thing to go with roast pork on Sunday.

A short list of ingredients and little prep time just my kind of recipe, let the ingredients speak for themselves.  I think fennel and celeriac are both much underrated vegetables and this is a wonderful way to use them.



Equal portions of the following
Potatoes (I used 4 medium size)
Fennel (I used 2 very small bulbs)
Celeriac (I used 1/2 medium bulb)
About 1 1/2 cups of milk or cream
3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese



Peel and slice the potatoes and celeriac and slice the fennel. Toss together with the cream, grated cheese and salt and pepper.

All ingredients tossed together
Place the mixture into a shallow baking dish and top up the milk/cream so that it just reaches the top of the vegetables, then top off with a little more grated cheese.

Ready for the oven
Bake in a 350 oven until the vegetables are soft and the top is golden brown about 3/4 hour.  This indeed did go well with roast pork.

Because I am in England I was able to use double cream, the English know how to make cream. You can knock the food here if you want, but they have to have the best cream in the world.  So this dish was very rich (not necessarily a bad thing), but would be equally good made with 1/2 and 1/2 cream or even straight milk.

The finished dish

1 comment: