Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Updates on bread, freezing and pie

This is a couple of updates on recipes that I have previously posted, the first is nut bread which is the latest in experimentation of additions to my basic bread recipe.


Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the finished bread, but believe me when I tell you it was beautiful.  The picture above is what it looked like just before placing in the oven. I made my foccacia bread recipe let it raise for 1 hour then added 1 cup of roasted nuts.  I had on hand 1/4 cup pecans and the remainder was pumpkin seeds. I cooked this bread in the same way as the  no knead bread in order to give it a crusty exterior.


The nuts were a great addition, though in fact in this picture you can hardly see any, the flavour of the nuts permiated the whole loaf.  There were 4 couples for dinner and this bread was completely gone before dinner, eaten with some wonderful flavoured olive oil and balsamic vineger.

Update number 2 is Peach pie.  At the end of the day, I believe peach pie is my favourite pie, and as we had some good friends coming down from the Okanagan with some fresh peaches I had to make a pie.




I made the same pastry as for my bramley apple pie and for the filling just straight fresh peeled peaches topped with a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and butter.



Update number 3 is not an updated recipe more an updated method of storing.  I have been freezing a lot of rhubarb, blueberries and roasted tomato sauce to see me through the winter this summer.  I have a new upright freezer which is quite small, and I want to keep it organized so that things do not get lost.  I froze my last batch of roasted tomato sauce in large freezer bags flattened.


This takes up very little space and they can be stacked on top of each other.  In fact I am storing them standing up on the door of the freezer.



No comments:

Post a Comment