Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week night dinner - quick roasted pork and potatoes

This dish is my week night fall back, this is what I make when I'm driving home thinking "what's for dinner tonight?" And no particular inspiration comes, you understand I would not say this out loud the answer from my dear husband would always be spaghetti. Even if I do not feel like stopping for groceries,  I pretty much always have some pork in the freezer and I can not imagine not having potatoes and garlic.

Quick roasted pork and potatoes

This is one of my not really a recipe recipe, it is more about proportions.

Equal amounts of pork and potatoes (one good size boneless pork chop per person)
1/2 garlic clove per chop
Tablespoon of olive oil per chop
A handful of fresh herbs.
I use what ever I have on hand at the moment I still have good selection in the garden.  Here I used
Sage, parsley,thyme and rosemary.

Ingredients ready to go for 4
Chop the potatoes and pork into equal size chunks
Slice the garlic
and roughly chop the herbs

Pre heat an ovenproof frying pan and add the olive oil. When it is hot throw in the pork. Cook for a couple of minutes until starting to brown, (this just speeds the cooking process up) then add the remaining ingredients. toss them all together and put in a pre heated 400 oven.

Ready for the oven
After 10 minutes stir everything up and cook for a further 10 or 15  minutes until everything is browned and cooked through.  You just need a green vegetable or salad and dinner is served.

4 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of consuming this..good, very fragrant and interesting flavour. I also love Indian food...but admit to fall to the prepackaged blends...I like that there are not additives and the markets now offer this in abundance. . However I concede that nothing measure up like fresh. I have learned recently of some tricks to hasten the fresh process like freezing plugs of prepared ingredients. Go Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! This is the wrong recipe!

    Also, just so you know Gillian, I read your blog everyday and tomorrow I'm making this one!

    You're making it very easy for me to eat well without much effort when I'm going to school. I'm passing around this link to all my friends :)

    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Next time you are thinking of a pork recipe, I'd sure love to have that pork chili recipe. Enjoying your blog. It is very useful. Plus, excellent pictures. Everything looks toothsome. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great. Mine wasn't quite as roasted looking as yours: The potatoes seemed to absorb the oil rather than wear it. Taste was excellent, however. I was a rebel and threw in a thick-sliced onion. Thx!

    ReplyDelete