Thursday, October 7, 2010

C Lovers Fish and chips

When I was a little girl I used to stay with my grandparents in the North of England in a small town called Tingley Yorkshire.  It was like stepping back in time. Even in the 60's my grandparents did not have a fridge and so would have to shop every day for fresh food. The toilet was at the end of the yard (thank god it was flush) and all hot water had to boiled up on the stove, so a bath was not that common.  None of this bothered me (except when I woke up in the night and needed to go to the toilet.)  To me it was a wonderful home and one of the best things was the fish and chip shop less than a block away.




Grandad and I would walk up in the evening after tea and before bed and get a sixpenny worth of chips.
(about 5cents) these would be wrapped in newspaper and I would start eating them on the way home doused in malt vinegar, then finish them off in front of the fire before going to bed in my very cold unheated bedroom.

I still love fish and chips, though they are a once in while guilty pleasure for me now and my second born son (SBS) shares my enthusiasm. So this evening when his father and first born son (FBS) were headed down to California for a big hike ,we headed on much less healthy journey to the best fish and chips outside of England C Lovers fish and chips

As you can see  it is not a very elegant place situated in strip mall next to Save on Foods and across the road from Coquitlam Centre.  But they have a real English style fish and chip fryer.  So for considerably more than 5 cents ($21.00 to be exact) we had two plates of halibut and chips doused in malt vinegar.

Sometimes the best food comes from unsuspecting places, the fish is fresh the batter is thin and very crisp and the chips are not soggy.  They also have authentic mushy peas, but I think you have to have been born and brought up in England to appreciate these.


Of course the best fish and chips will always be from the chip shop in Tingley which no longer exists and therefore can not be produced for a fair taste comparison and can never be usurped.

1 comment:

  1. I used to chose C-Lovers for my birthday dinner when I was a kid! Best fish and chips I've ever had :)

    -Leah

    ReplyDelete