Friday, October 22, 2010

Panhaggerty

Panhaggerty is a dish from the North East of England which is where my Father is from, this is another dish from child hood, but this one that me back to visiting my other grandparents.


It is one of those simple dishes that hardly need a recipe and has only 3 ingredients

3 large potatoes sliced
1 medium onion sliced
2 cups of shredded cheese

I know cheese and potatoes again, I do love cheese and potatoes.



In a medium size nonstick frying pan put down a layer of potatoes and then some salt and pepper.

First layer of potatoes
Then a layer of sliced onion

OK I put a little cheese on before I realized I had not taken a picture
Then a layer of cheese


Repeat all three layers and then put on a lid and put the frying pan on a low until the potatoes are cooked through about 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour.

Cooking away
 The bottom gets beautifully golden and crunchy and the potatoes and onions are lovely and soft.
Either slice into quarters or turn upside to expose that wonderful crusty bottom.


This was always a vegetarian dish at home served with a salad or green vegetable.  But it could be a side dish with a grilled pork chop or steak.  I have also seen recipes that have bacon in and bacon added to something can't be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment