Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sgroppino - The perfect ending to a heavy meal

Two years ago I was lucky enough to spend a week in Venice with my Father and one of his friends who was writing a book about architecture in Venice.  He spent a lot of time there doing research and was getting quite fluent in Italian. Every night we went to a different restaurant that he had eaten at many times and was known by the owners.  We had some good meals, but generally I was not as impressed with the food in Venice as I was with food from further south.

At the end of the first meal he did not order dessert off the menu but ordered Sgroppino, so I followed suite. What arrived was a wonderful light icy drink. I had this every night after that, as I really do not have much a sweet tooth and often don't even bother with dessert.


We had this after my first turkey dinner this last weekend, it was refreshing break before heading into pie.



All you need is
1 bottle of Prosecco or other sparkling dry wine.
2 cups of lemon sorbet.


Put the lemon sorbet in a bowl and break it up with a spoon.
Add the sparkling wine, whipping it with a whisk to form a soft, foamy mixture


Adding the sparkling wine
Don't whisk too much or it will become too liquid. Pour into tall champagne flutes and serve immediately. Unfortunately we did not have enough flutes so used Martini glasses as well certainly not something to get stressed about.

No comments:

Post a Comment