Sunday, March 16, 2014

Easy roast chicken with carrots and potatoes

I guess it is no secret I love roast chicken, I love the smell of it cooking, I love crispy chicken skin and I love the versatility of it.  Chicken goes with so many flavours and is a staple in just about every culture in the world. Sunday night I was feeling like roast chicken and decided to do another riff on the chicken legs cooked on a bed of vegetables.


I kept this very simple letting the taste of the wonderful free range chicken shine through. There was 4 for dinner that evening, so I used four whole chicken legs cut in half and a whole de boned breast.  I was hoping to have a couple of pieces left over for lunch, but I was sadly disappointed.

To feed 4

2 pieces of cut up chicken per person (maybe extra if they are hungry)
1 medium potato per person cut into chunks
1 carrot per person sliced thickly
1/2 small onion per person or 2 green onions per person chopped
2 cloves of garlic sliced for 4 people
Sprig of rosemary
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Place the potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic in the bottom of a roasting tin. Drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper and toss together.




Place the chicken pieces on top skin side up and tuck the sprigs of rosemary around them.


Drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper and place in a 400 oven for 3 minutes.


Take the chicken off and put in another roasting tin and place both the potato mixture and and chicken separately back in the oven for a further 15 minutes to crisp up the potatoes a little.

Before crisping up
Serve with the chicken placed on top of the vegetables.


This was incredibly tasty as the chicken juices have soaked in to the potatoes and get my crispy chicken skin! really all you need to complete the meal is crisp green salad and of course a nice glass of chardonnay.


2 comments:

  1. How long do you cook the chicken for? 3 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops a typo that would be 30 minutes

    ReplyDelete