Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mexican inspired salad

I was wanting to make a salad this Saturday to go with my next daring cooks challenge (more about that on the 14th). It needed to have bright flavours and it was to go with South American food so this is what I came up with.



2 avocados chopped
Juice of one lime
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup of olive oil
5 Lebanese cucumbers
1/2 red onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro



Place the avocado into a salad bowl, add the juices and oil toss to coat this will stop the avocado from going brown. Then add the remaining ingredients.


If I was making this for a crowd and wanted to make it ahead of time I would not toss everything together until just before serving, but there were only 8 of us and we were eating right away so I just tossed it all together.


The inspiration for this was Greek salad which I love but changed the feta to avocado and Mexican inspired flavours instead of Mediterranean.  I believe it was successful and I would certainly make it again, though it is more of a summer recipe and it is a winter wonderland here today.  Well we can dream of warm summer evenings and the smell of barbecuing meats and cold frosty drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment