Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fish taco's

On Saturday Nancy was busy working so I was sent out to hunt and gather, and I felt like fish tacos.  We were on the coast were there is lots of fresh fish so this seemed like a really good idea.


I went to the fish shop and bought some true cod (I hope that is a sustainable choice Connie) but any firm white fleshed fish would do or even prawns.

First I made the salsa

4 campari tomatoes (or equivalent) chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 avocado chopped
juice of two limes
1 chili pepper chopped very finely
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper (more salt than you think or need for that matter)


Toss all the ingredients together best when fresh but this is the same salsa that we had left over and I spooned over the chicken kebabs. Put in the fridge while the rest of the dish comes together.

To prepare the tortillas, add a little oil in a nonstick pan and warm the corn tortillas in it.  I used purchased corn tortillas which even up in Madeira park you can buy frozen.


This takes only a minute to warm up and make pliable.  Next the fish

I coated the fish in the following mixture.

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika.

Then I fried the fish in a non stick frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil


Cook the fish so that it is just cooked through like all fish you do not want to over cook it.

I laid the corn tortillas out on a platter folding them in half, in the bottom of each one I put some mixed spring greens



 then the fish and then the salsa.

Notice the cute fish shaped serving dish.
And because it was the weekend of the watermelon radish I added a slice of radish on top of each. This was a wonderful light meal for a beautiful sunny if still cool day.

No comments:

Post a Comment