Saturday, March 19, 2011

Eggplant (aubergine) and potato curry

This dish is my go to dish if no one else is home for dinner, I love eggplant, potatoes and Indian food so how can I go wrong.  It is quick and easy to make for one, often I will have it on its own with some chutney and yogurt, but this night I had some broccoli rabe that need using up so I cooked that too.



2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of garlic ginger and chili see this link to Rogon josh for details on this
1 small onion chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of turmeric
On small eggplant preferably the Asian type chopped up
1 medium potato
1 cup of chicken stock (or vegetable if you want to keep it vegetarian)



Heat up the olive oil in a deep sided frying pan, and add the onion, ginger, garlic and chili. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is just golden, then add the spices stir for a minute then add the eggplant.


Stir until the eggplant is starting to brown and cook, then add the potatoes and stock, simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes until the potato is cooked through.

Everything added and starting to cook
If it dries out too much just add a little water.

While this was cooking I stir fried the broccoli rapini with some sliced garlic and a teaspoon of mustard seed then added a little fish sauce.

When the eggplant and potato dish is ready it should be moist but most of the liquid should be soaked up by the vegetables.

Halfway cooked
This goes so well with some chutney and yogurt.  You could make it for two, there is just no one in my family to share it with. With the late hours I have been working lately, I imagine I will be cooking this often in the next little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment