Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Potato scones

These are a traditional scottish dish, which my Mother used to make when I was young.  I spent the the first 4 years of my life in Scotland, so I assume that is where she learned to make them. This was the way that she used up leftover mashed potatoes and frankly it is worth making extra mashed potatoes just so you can make them.  Traditional they would have been cooked on a griddle, but I remember her cooking them in the oven so that is how I cooked them, and they go particularly well with cheese.


These are not a light fluffy scone like the normal english scone, but like their english cousins they are really better eaten fresh warm with butter melting on them.



3 cups of leftover mashed potato (I made a lot for Christmas dinner)
3/4 cup of white flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt.

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork.


Then using your hands form a dough it should not be too dry but also not sticky.  Spread out on the counter, press out until it is about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter into the desired shape. (my mother always made round so I did too).

Put on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for 1/2  hour.


They are wonderful straight from the oven with butter melting on them.

Yum
I only ate one as I am trying to be good after the usual holiday feasting, but the boys wolfed them down.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has made these too in a past life too far back to remember how but I do know I liked them very much. Time to try it again....thanks.

    ReplyDelete