Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Easy butter chicken

Tonight my Father was coming for dinner and my youngest son was not home for dinner, so Indian food it would be and I had defrosted 3 chicken breasts so butter chicken was on the menu.

I do not know how authentic this is, but it tastes good and I suspect butter chicken is really a western thing or at the very least an Indian dish in the same way as sweet and sour pork is to Chinese food.



1 tablespoon of oil
1 onion chopped
1 large garlic clove
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1 tablespoon of turmeric
1/2 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of salt
3 chicken breasts
1 1/2 cup of crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup of light cream



Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and cook until golden brown then add the garlic ginger and jalapeno cook until all softened.


Add all the spices and cook for about one minute then stir in the chicken and stir until coated.


When the chicken is well coated and starting to cook add the tomatoes and stir well.  Simmer for about 15 minutes covered until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened.

cooked chicken
Turn the heat off and stir in the cream, ready to eat.  Hopefully you put the rice on to cook before you started and you are ready to go.

I served the chicken with rice and a salad made of equal quantities of cut up cucumber and tomatoes tossed together with lemon juice salt and a very little olive oil.  If I had had some coriander I would have added that, it was a nice fresh accompaniment to the richer chicken. This served 4 of us with no leftovers.

fresh salad

1 comment:

  1. I've never had butter chicken because of the dairy and tomato allergies in my family, but I wonder if I could make this work with soy evaporated milk? It'd change the flavours a bit, but it might be almost as tasty... :)

    ReplyDelete