Sunday, December 5, 2010

Chili verde - Green chili

This recipe is for  The Cottagers wife .  When I told her that I was writing a blog, the first thing  she said was post the green chili recipe, so as requested here it is.



There are a couple of unusual ingredients the first being green chili powder.  I was first introduced to this on a trip to Santa Fe about 15 years ago, in New Mexico you were always given the choice of red chili or green chili sauce with all your dishes this was a revelation and I always chose green.  I bought some green chili powder then and this is the dish I have mostly made with it.  Now when ever I am in place that might sell it such as California or again in New Mexico  I always try to pick some up.  Last month I found my self in a mexican store down near Pike Place market in Seattle and sure enough they had some.

Green Chile powder from Seattle

The other ingredient not used much here in Canada is tomitillo's these look like green tomatoes on the outside, but more pulpy on the inside.  The have a wonderful almost sour flavour that goes wonderfully with pork as it cuts the richness of it.
Fresh tomitillo's

 I did not have any fresh or even canned tomitillo's (both of which you can find at Granville Island) so I used the next best thing President's Choice salsa Verde.  I am not a proponent of using pre made ingredients, but short of driving for a couple of hours this was the best I could do and it works well in this reipe

Salsa Verde


1 tablespoon of oil
2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon of green chili powder
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 tablespoon of ground coriander
3 lbs of pork chopped into about 11/2 inch cubes (I used country ribs)
I jar of presidents choice salsa Verde or can of tomitillo's or equivalent fresh chopped up
1 1/2 cups of dry white navy beans
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped cilantro.

Sweat off the onions and garlic until softened and translucent, then stir in the pork and cook until some of the meat is mostly opaque and then add the spices.

Ready for the liquid
Add the remaining ingredients and bring up to a boil then turn down and simmer for about 2 hours.

Ready to Simmer
Stir occasionaly and add a little more liquid if it needs it.  When the beans are soft and the pork is falling apart  it is ready to serve. Or put in the fridge and it is even better the next day.

Ready to serve
 This served 4 for dinner and two for lunch the following day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely trying this! Now that exams are here, I procrastinate by cooking :) You should be proud!

    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted wonderful but the beans took 5 hours of simmering to become tender. Maybe I have bad bean mojo? Next time will prepare beans in pressure cooker while pork is browning. Love this. Have stocked up on salsa verde

    ReplyDelete