Saturday, February 2, 2013

Slow cooker Asian beef

I recently bought a freezer back of beef from Hopcott's, so my freezer is full of beef looking to be used.  Much of it is the less tender cuts that need to be cooked slow and long, which really I prefer as they have so much flavour.  Also I have replaced my slow cooker which died last fall and so I was looking to make a dish that I could throw in to cook when I leave for work and have waiting ready to eat when I came home.


Sauce

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup of hoi sin sauce
1 garlic clove chopped
1" piece of fresh ginger chopped
1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce (optional)

The night before combine all the ingredients ready for the morning.  Of course you could do this in the morning, but I never have that much time.


Next morning pour over the beef in a slow cooker, I used two braising steaks.


Set the slow cooker to low and leave for work, or cook for 7 hours.




The beef is cooked to the point of falling apart. So pull apart with two forks in the juices that it cooked in.  I had very lean beef so there was very little fat, but you might want to skim off any excess fat.


I served this with rice and stir fried baby bok choy and the meat was very soft and slightly spicy, a good week night dinner if every I saw one.


No comments:

Post a Comment