Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Italian sausage meatball soup

Lately I have got in to big batch cooking on the weekend, usually soup, chili or a casserole of some kind, so that I lunches and or dinners prepared for the week.  This week my big batch was this sausage meatball soup.  I had some home made Italian sausage left over in the freezer that I had made over the holidays, that I wanted to use, before I totally forgot about it, so I decided to use it in sausage meatballs in this soup.


I made a very large batch and I had this for lunch a couple of days and dinner for 2 a couple of nights.  Luckily I do not have a problem with eating the same thing several times in a week. But I will give the ingredients for a more normal amount to feed 4.

2 cups of Italian sausage
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 leek sliced
2 carrots sliced
1 parsnip sliced (optional you could use potato instead)
4 cups of turkey or chicken stock
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and fresh rosemary.
1 bag of washed spinach

Roll the Italian sausage in to balls about the size of a walnut and place on parchment paper cookie sheet.


Roast in a 400 oven for around 15 to 20 minutes until they are cooked through and slightly browned.




Put the olive oil in a large pot and cook the leeks until they are soft, then add the other vegetables.


Add the stock and herbs.


Simmer until the vegetables are cooked, then add the sausage.



Add the spinach.  I had to do this in a couple of additions as the volume was too much until it had collapsed.




This was delicious hearty and actually quite healthy.  I would have been more healthy had I used turkey balls instead of pork sausage, but that was what I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment