Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tray baked chicken with orange and olives

Friday night I was going to a party planning dinner, we are planning a reunion for the group that went to Ecuador with us in the fall.  We were getting to together to plan the menu and games etc for the party, but dinner had to be provided as it was straight after work.  I offered to bring the ingredients for the main course, as I am trying to keep my diet low fat and as healthy as possible, so I chose boneless skinless chicken breasts as my protein.  This is not my favourite cut of chicken as they can be dry and do not have as much flavour as the dark meat, especially with the skin on, but definitely lean.

Rather blurry picture of finished dish
I was going to fall back on my old standby lemon roast chicken but I really wanted to try something new. So I went down to Granville Island and picked up the chicken breasts and some beautiful sun dried Moroccan olives and threw this together.

Feeds 6
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or skin on chicken pieces would be wonderful)
Grated rind of 2 oranges
Juice of one orange
1 red onion chopped
1/2 cup of pitted olives any kind would do, but these Moroccan olives were wonderful
Cut up potatoes I used about 18 fingerling potatoes cut in pieces but any small potato would do
Handful of fresh tarragon chopped
3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Cut the chicken breasts in to pieces.  I cut each one into about 4 large chunks. Then throw everything into a large shallow roasting tin.


Season with salt and pepper then toss everything with your hands and spread evenly over the dish.




Place in a preheated 400 oven for about 40 minutes until the top is crispy and brown. Somebody else made a wonderful salad with avocado and pink grapefruit.


This was delicious and was a nice accompaniment to the chicken.  Eating healthy does not mean you have to deprive yourself and this chicken dish will be going in to rotation in my house along with the lemon chicken as it is easy and very tasty.

When I went down to Granville Island after work the clouds finally broke after a very cold wintry day of heavy rain, and the sun was shining on the local mountains, I could not resist taking a photograph.




No comments:

Post a Comment