Sunday, February 24, 2013

Crockpot South West chicken soup

This is another of my low calorie but tasty meals that I can make ahead for lunch at work or dinner at home.  I got this idea from  this recipe for slow cooker chicken tortilla soup.  But I did not have any corn tortilla's to fry and as always I changed it little to match what I had on hand.


This made enough for 4.
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 15oz can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
  • 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained or I used my home canned tomato puree
  • 5 cups of chicken stock
  • one medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of cumin
  • 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon of regular chili powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Juice of one lime
  • Handfull of cilantro chopped
  • Shredded cheese for serving.


To your slow cooker add first 10 ingredients.


Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Remove chicken breasts.





Using two forks shred the chicken.



Return shredded chicken to slow cooker bowl, Stir in add the lime juice and cilantro, taste for seasoning.



If serving immediately, divide among bowls. Top off with a generous helping of shredded cheese and if you had them tortilla strips. This was very tasty, easy to put together and healthy, you really can not ask more of a soup recipe than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment