Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crispy Yam fries from the oven with chili lime salt

I really love yam fries, well actually I really love regular fries as well, sad to say I think I would choose that to be the last thing I every eat. But I do not own a deep frier and I am trying to avoid eating deep fried food anyway, so I was looking for a way to make yam fries in the oven that were crispy.


So I hunted the internet and experimented a little and this is what I came up with.

One Sweet potato cut in to french fry shape
1 tablespoon of corn starch
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Chili lime salt
1 tablespoon of course salt, I used Malden
Grated rind of one lime
1 teaspoon of chili flakes.

Place corn starch into a ziploc bag and toss the yam fries in the corn starch until they are coated.


Now place in a bowl and toss in the olive oil until they are evenly coated.


Lay in a single layer on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and place in a pre heated 450 oven.


Cook for about 15 minutes until the yam is cooked through and are crispy on the outside.


To make the chili lime salt, combine all the ingredients in a small pestle and mortar.


Bash about a little and toss the fries in it when they come out of the oven.  This method did give them a crisp exterior and the flavoured salt went well with the sweetness of the yam.  Are these as good as fried? of course not, but a good second best.

No comments:

Post a Comment