Wednesday, March 14, 2012

balsamic glazed lamb shanks

We had a big storm here on the West Coast on Monday with thousands with out power and most of the ferries cancelled.  But we were snug inside thankfully with power and I was able to spend the day quilting, something that I have not done in a while, but really enjoy.  For dinner I invited my Father and son over and I had 5 lamb shanks sitting in my freezer that needed eating.  I have based this recipe on a Gordon Ramsay one that I found on BBC foods.


I made this for 5 but I think if you used 4 lamb shanks and the same recipe you would just have a little more sauce and that is not a bad thing.

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 garlic cloves sliced
5 lamb shanks
1 cup of red wine
1 cup of crushed tomatoes (still using home canned Yeh!)
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 cup of red wine
1 good size sprig of rosemary.



Brown the lamb shanks on all sides in the olive oil, this is a little awkward as they are rather ungainly and uncooperative in the pan, but do the best you can. I did this in two batches, then remove the lamb and add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is going transparent.

Add the lamb back in and then add the remaining ingredients.


Put a lid on and bung it in a 350 oven for 3 hours.  This will give you plenty of time to quilt, play scrabble on the computer or spend time doing any other productive activity of your choice.


When it is finished the meat is falling off the bone and meat and sauce are a rich dark brown. I removed the shanks and prepared to simmer the sauce to concentrate it down, but in fact I did not need to, so I just spooned it over the shanks.

The sauce was rich and thick and had a slight sweet sour flavour from the balsamic vinegar.  Definitely a must do again, and this would be wonderful on a storm winter day up at Pender harbour, just saying Nancy.

The smell in the house was wonderful, It would I am sure be something that you could put in the crock pot go to work and be greeted with the most wonderful comforting dinner.






No comments:

Post a Comment