Saturday, March 24, 2012

Currents at Otter Bay and chicken with roasted tomatoes

Currents at Otter Bay is a favourite place to stay of my friend who was having a big birthday last week. They and their family and friends have been staying here for several years on regular basis.  It certainly is beautiful and is with in walking distance of the ferry terminal. There are several cottages all new and all have a beautiful view.  This was the view from our cottage.


Though those that had been here before said that they really preferred the cottages with the view of open water.

However we made do, and managed to survive the weekend with the view of the marina.  We ended up eating in both nights that we there, partly because at this time of year there are not too many options on Pender Island and partly because we had a big lunch one day, and any way I love to cook.

I am afraid the pictures for this very simple meal that we had the first night really are not very good. I am sure it had nothing to do with the amount of wine that was flowing or the distraction of 5 women constantly talking but was all to do with bad lighting.

I came up with this dish as I was going to do me perennial favourite lemon roast chicken and thought I would try to vary it up a little. So I decided to use the same method, but use tomatoes in place of the lemon and basil in place of the rosemary or sage.

To feed 4 (or 5 with one being vegetarian)

8 chicken thighs skin on bone in
1 small box of grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half
8 campari tomatoes cut in quarters
2 large cloves of garlic cut in to pieces
Small bunch of fresh basil roughly cut up
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper

Place the chicken thighs skin side up on a roasting tin, you could use other parts of the chicken but I particularly like thighs.  Then nestle the next 4 ingredients around the chicken drizzle over the olive oil and salt and pepper.


Bung into a preheated 400 oven for about 3/4 hour until the skin is crispy and the tomatoes have broken down and created an intensely flavoured tomato mushy sauce.


Sorry about the picture I put it down to bad lighting, but you get the idea.  This was very flavourful and so easy, I think I will add this to my repertoire of often cooked meals.  If I had had some capers or anchovies I think that they would be a good addition.  Also the chicken could be served with pasta tossed with the tomatoes.


We had this with rice and beans and a wonderful salad made by one the other women which had shrimp and avocado in it.

We had a peaceful couple of days away, we really should do this again and I do not think we have to wait another 10 years until there is another big birthday.

Signs of spring in the Pacific Northwest

No comments:

Post a Comment