Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fridge pot roast

Currently sitting in Whistler BC enjoying the peace and quite that settles over the lodgings when all the skiers and boarders are up on the hill. My job as I do not choose to either ski or board is to provide a comforting meal on their return.  Pot roast was my friends vision, so that is what I would do, as this is always popular and the longer it cooks the better.  I like something that does not have to be dealt with at the last minute as, though I do not ski I definitely like to participate in the Apres Ski.



The fridge was fairly well stocked by my friend, so I picked up a nice large pot Roast of beef at the local store and decided to use what was on hand.  And that was.

olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 red and 1 yellow pepper chopped
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1/2 bottle of red wine (oh happy find)
A small bunch of fresh basil
1 cup of beef stock (actually a beef stock cube)
Then I bought a large pot roast

In a large oven proof pot (I would have liked to have a cast iron one, but beggars can't be choosers) saute the onion and celery in about a tablespoon of olive oil.


When the onion is translucent add the chopped pepper, cook until they are softening and then stir in the tomato puree.


Now pour in the wine and beef stock.



Now place the beef pot roast in the pot and spoon the liquid over and add the fresh basil. I know I did not brown it first, but I read an article by Jamie Oliver where he said that really when you cooking something long and slow like this you don't need to.  I am a big fan of Jamie Oliver, so I gave this a try and he is correct so often now I do not brown the beef and it is just fine.


Put a lid on and put in to a 300 oven.  Now you have plenty of time to work on a sewing project, write a couple of blogs play a little solitaire on the Ipad. After about 3 hours this is what it looked like.


The beef was getting tender and the apartment was full of wonderful smells. Now time for a little apres ski, a trip to the hot tub to soak those aching bones and discuss the snow conditions that day.  Then after another 2 hours this is what it looked like.


The vegetables have almost disintegrated to nothing and the beef is falling apart.  I removed the beef and while Nancy carved (shredded) I reduced the sauce down about 1/2 by simmering on top of the stove with the lid off.

The shredded beef
We served the beef on a platter with the sauce poured over the top and it was delicious and comforting food at its best.  We had mashed potatoes and a light crisp green salad to round out the meal yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment