Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sunchokes or Jerusalem artichokes

A good friend from work who shares my passion for food came for dinner on Saturday. She hunted and gathered the  vegetables to go with roast pork that I was cooking At the winter market in Vancouver.  She came with the largest and most amazing sunchokes that I had ever seen.


I have cooked these before but not too often and have usually made soup with them.  I did a little research and found that these are indigenous to North America and were cultivated by the Native North Americans long before the Europeans arrived.  It is the root of a particular specious of sunflower.

We washed them and then cut up in to equal size pieces and boiled until they were tender. Then I mashed like a potato with a little butter and salt.


They have a distinct artichoke flavour, but we decided to serve them with 2/3 mashed sunchoke and 1/3 mashed German butter potatoes.

These were served along with roasted Brussels sprouts which had also been picked up at the winter market still attached to their stalk.




Though I have seen them like this before, I have never actually picked them off the stalk and cooked them before.  It felt a little like picking your vegetables from the garden. I do think that they tasted better than other Brussels sprouts because they were so fresh.

A duo of fall vegetables
Any way I do think that I need to go and check out this winter market one weekend soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment