Thursday, September 23, 2010

fridge dinner - fried rice (lo fun style)

Thursday night running out of ideas and fresh food, (I usually do my big grocery shop on the weekend) a fridge dinner is called for. This is my name for a meal that you can pull together from what you find in the fridge.  This is what I found in my fridge today

Fridge findings
two small pork chops
one head of broccoli
1/2 an onion
2" of ginger
a clove of garlic
1 yellow pepper
and 3 very small carrots.

Since it was just me and husband for dinner tonight I decided to make fried rice as this is one of his favourites.  I call it lo fun style as it is not very authentic and my Chinese friends call me lo fun (Cantonese for white ghost), I am sure this is a very affectionate term.

I cooked 1 cup of rice in my very authentic Chinese rice cooker and while that was cooking I sweated off the onion ginger and garlic in a little olive oil then added the pork and cooked that until it was golden and cooked through.



Pork, onion, ginger and garlic

Then I added the carrots and yellow pepper and cooked those stirring often until they were just soft.
The broccoli was added next and that was also stirred often until just cooked.

All vegetables cooked waiting in anticipation for the rice
I added the already cooked rice stirred it into the vegetables and pork then added a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce.  I let it cook it for a few minutes so that some of the rice is getting crunchy then serve.

The finished product served right from the frying pan
It was just the two of us so I served directly out of the frying pan Saves clean up one of my favourite things. I also found some heirloom tomatoes in the fridge looking forlorn and forgotten so I sliced them up on a nice blue and white plate drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them and a little salt and pepper and they looked much happier.

Happy looking Heirloom tomatoes
It is amazing what you can find in the fridge if you just move that jar of mayonnaise

No comments:

Post a Comment