Sunday, September 19, 2010

Brix - Wedding reception

Yesterday we attended my Niece's wedding which took place at the Celebration Pavilion in Queen Elizabeth Park. This was the Brides chosen location as when she was a child she would see all the beautiful brides up there having their pictures taken and she wanted to be one of them.  The day started out with pouring rain with it forecast to continue all day (and much of the next week).  But fortunately they were wrong and by the time the wedding started the sun had come out and she did indeed join all the beautiful brides having their pictures taken in the park.



Family friends of the new groom own the restaurant down in Yale town called Brix and so after the pictures were taken we all headed down to take over the whole place.  I had eaten here about a year ago and though unfortunately I do not remember what I had, I do remember really enjoying it.

We were handed a glass of champagne and then several servers circulated with plates of wonderful appetizers. My favourite was small cubes of poached pear served on a piece of brie on a small round of melba toast.  Simple but absolutely delicious.

Pear on brie appetizers
There was also bacon wrapped scallops which were juicy and cooked to perfection, crab stuffed mushroom caps that some how were rolled in perfect little spheres that were bread crumbed and deep fried.  My sons assure me that the very best were one bite fish and chips! Unfortunately I did not manage to flag down that particular platter.  All the appetizers were delicious just one bite and easy to eat whilst juggling a wine glass and making scintillating conversation.

After the speeches and formal toasts, though actually nothing was terribly formal, on to the buffet.

The main courses on the buffet



A close up of the chicken and risotto


 There were four main courses to choose from salmon served with broccolini and mashed potato, Chicken served with asparagus and risotto and little chinese take out containers of fish and chips this time I made sure I got a container and the boys were right the fish was wonderful. Though if I have a critisism of any of the food the chips appeared to be frozen spiral chips with some kind of seasoning on them I would have preferred straight up chips. (but then I am british)


Individual containers of fish and chips

There was also roast beef, but by this time I really had eaten enough and therefore I can not tell you what that was served with or how wonderful it was, though I am sure it was.

With everything served in individual containers it made it easy to mingle and table hop, as there really were not enough tables for everyone, and certainly an idea I would like to copy.

For dessert there was doughnuts, a big hit with my sons, but as I was rather full and did not want to burst out of my dress I declined.  The cake was made by the mother of the bride and I was eager to try a little of this as she makes the most wonderful christmas pudding every year.  It was a traditional English wedding cake (she is british too). Fruit cake with marzipan and lived up to my expectations, though I did limit myself to 1/2 of a small piece making sure I got plenty of marzipan.

The beautiful home made wedding cake
All in all a wonderful wedding the bride and groom seem very happy and I think I can safely say it was the best food I have ever had a wedding and a beautiful location for both the wedding and the reception.




1 comment:

  1. Too bad you missed the roast beef - I would have loved to know how it tasted like! The plating on that salmon and broccolini looks totally amazing! It's like you can mingle with everyone else in the wedding reception while carrying your food. The fish and chips look a little bit out of place though.

    ReplyDelete