Sunday, January 19, 2014

Szechuan Green Beans

1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
Fortune Gardens restaurant is very close to where I work and has long been a favourite restaurant for lunch for a large group and one of favourite dishes there has been Szechuan green beans. I have had them at other places, but like theirs is the standard that I judge all others.  I decided to try making some to go along with the 5 spice beef pot roast and was pleasantly surprised at the results and how easy they were to make.

1 tbsp of oil (I used coconut oil)
1tsp sesame oil
1/2 lb green beans, stem ends trimmed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 small squirt Sriracha (chili paste), or to taste


Heat a heavy pan or wok over medium-high heat and add the oils and add the beans



 stirring often until they start to turn golden. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions.





Continue to stir until the onions are starting to soften then add soy sauce, fish sauce and  Sriracha.


Cook a few minutes more, stirring often, until the garlic is golden, the beans are cooked through and starting to go limp.


Serve immediately.


These were delicious and though easy to make need work at the end so not so good for entertaining. When I have a lot of guests I like to do as little work at the end so that I am not a slave to the kitchen when people have arrived. But a very good dish for even a week night and a tasty side dish to any asian inspired meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment